Before using a cold wallet, please be incredibly cautious with where you store it. I recommend encrypting your cold wallet, and then backing up the resulting file wherever you want. Have at least 2 places you back it up (i.e. USB and any cloud storage); you never know what may go wrong.
- Muonium – secure encrypted storage (free)
- Cryptomator – client-side encryption software (free)
- Boxcryptor – cloud and local encryption (free)
- Veracrypt – rigorous and secure encryption (free, for intermediate-advanced users)
- This is the ideal option in terms of security. You can encrypt a whole USB drive with this.
The Easy Way
The easy way is to use this paper wallet generator by Ben Green, aka Numtel from Github. You can review the open-sourced code if you’re skeptical, but I’m confident it’s secure considering that Raiblocks developers have mentioned it on their Github and many people have reviewed the post on Reddit’s /r/Raiblocks.
The Hard Way
If you’re determined to make a cold wallet manually, it shouldn’t be too tricky, but it does take much more time than doing it the easy way.
Know the locations depending on which OS you have.
- For Windows: C:\Users\AppData\Local\RaiBlocks
- For Mac/OSX: /Users/username/Library/RaiBlocks
- For Linux: ~/RaiBlocks
Here are the steps:
- If you don’t have the desktop wallet already downloaded, download it and skip to step 4.
- If you have a desktop wallet, back it up by going to Accounts->Backup/Clipboard wallet seed. It’s recommended to copy all user data to a separate folder apart from /Raiblocks.
- Close it (to be sure it’s closed, check for it with Task Manager on Windows) and delete all data within the Raiblocks user directory folder.
- Create your desired amount of Nano (XRB) addresses for your cold wallet.
- Back up your wallet seed through Accounts->Backup/Clipboard wallet seed and record the list of your Nano (XRB) addresses.
- Close it again, and delete all data in Raiblocks user directory like step 3.
- Your hot wallet is now officially cold. To get it back into a hot wallet, just go to Accounts-<Import wallet and put in your seed.